Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book Review -- "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin


4 starts out of 5
"The Twelve" by Justin Cronin

genre:  post-apocalyptic with some vampires thrown in
(but not your typical vampire)


OK. I really, really loved the first book, so much so it's one of my top favorites ever.

However, the second book left me a little confused and constantly flipping back to see where I was and who was who.


I should have done several things before reading this book -- one, reread "The Passage" immediately before "The Twelve". Two, NOT bought this on Kindle so I would have a place to write things down and keep up with the flow of characters. And three, not try to read it when I was on heavy pain killers AND Valium.


That being said, I can say that while I occasionally got lost, and sometimes wondered who was on what side, and what the point was on a few thing (like why DID the government want to get rid of the Last Stand in Denver dude????) I truly enjoyed it. I needed that suspension of belief and I like a post-apocalyptic story. I'm going to blame my confusion on my reading circumstances on on the "2nd book in a trilogy" syndrome -- it doesn't quite tie things up while it introduces things the author can't dig into QUITE yet.


Over the holidays I'll probably reread both books again. He's a heck of a writer.




Photobucket

Lori Anderson creates jewelry and bead kits as well as collaborative mixed media art with her son, Zack.  Visit her shops by clicking here.  She is also the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party®   and author of the book Bead Soup.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading this. I had it from the library, but that was the week I had to go to Los Angeles, so I never got a chance to read it. (My mom read it, though - at least we got some use out of that library book).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! It always makes my day!