Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Book Review -- "Generation A" by Douglas Coupland


"Generation A" by Douglas Coupland

Three out of Five Stars


Douglas Coupland is one of those authors whose work I collect. I vividly remember being handed his first book, "Generation X", and I was hooked. His dry wit, gift of parody, and excellent story-telling have made it such a pleasure to hunt down all of his books.


This book, however, left me wanting more. The story is a little off. Five people in five different countries are stung by a bee -- yet all the bees disappeared years ago. Each of these people is whisked away to a "clean room", observed and tested upon, and then let loose to meet up with each other.


When these people meet up with each other, one of the scientists ask them to tell stories they've made up on the spot. This figures into the bees, and why these people were essentially kidnapped after being stung, but the stories the people tell were really what kept my attention. The sub-story, if you will.


I suspend belief when reading because in order to enjoy certain books, you have to believe that what's happening is true. This book, though, no matter how hard I tried, couldn't keep me from going, "Oh, come on!" a few times. Fortunately, I laughed more than a few times so that redeemed it.


Definitely not Coupland's best, but die-hard fans should still read it.


Visit me on Goodreads.com by clicking here!
 
 
 
Photobucket
Lori Anderson creates jewelry for her web site, Lori Anderson Designs, and wrote the blog An Artist's Year Off.  She is the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party tm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! It always makes my day!