Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review -- "Divergent" by Veronica Roth



I devoured this book. If you liked "The Hunger Games", you'll probably like this one, too.


Set in the dystopia of Chicago, people are separated into "factions", each representing a particular virtue. At the age of sixteen, each person chooses a faction to belong to forever. However, for some people, they're suited for more than one faction, and are known as "Divergent" -- and that's not a good thing. Being Divergent poses a threat to the faction -- being of two minds, two minds that are open to just the values of their home -- so they're all silent about their designation.


The book centers around the initiation into the faction, which is a brutal process not all survives. The main character, Tris, and trainer, Four, are really interesting to follow, and I was thrilled to learn this is a series (I just picked up the book on a whim).


Highly recommended.



Photobucket


Lori Anderson creates jewelry for her web site, Lori Anderson Designs, and wrote the blog An Artist's Year Off.  She is the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda liked The Hunger Games, well, enough to finish reading all 3 books. I'll check this one out - thanks for the review. Funny - your description of how some pp are suitable for more than 1 faction reminded me of the sorting hat, and how Harry was considered for both Slytherin and Griffindor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this book! I just finished reading Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver which is a sequel to Delirium, both dytopian novels. The sequel to this book is coming out this May-I'm looking forward to it, I already have it pre-ordered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! It always makes my day!